From Beaufort to Alexandria by Sailing Vessel

 John Shoebridge Williams wrote,

Sarah Patterson, born April 8, 1790,
married John Shoebridge Williams
September 16, 1813, by whom
  she had ten children.
Sarah died May 29, 1858.
“In April, 1800, we sailed from Beaufort for Alexandria, in company with seventy other emigrants, large and small, say twelve families. We had one storm and were once becalmed in Core Sound, and had to wait about two weeks at Currituc Inlet (now filled up) for a wind to take us to sea. From thence to Alexandria we had a fine run, especially up the Potomac Bay. While cooped up in the vessel a circumstance happened to me that I shall never forget, and was always of use to me. One of the first nights of the voyage I had lost my trousers, so that when it was time to dress in the morning my indispensables were non est inventis. There were many of both sexes present, for the schooner had very little loading but emigrants. The mortification felt for half an hour at the accident was never erased from my memory, and from that time to this I never undress without knowing precisely where my clothing is left. During the storm we were in, the majority on board were seasick, and we had rather a disagreeable time among, say forty or fifty vomiting individuals. Neither that nor the rolling of the vessel affected me, as it happened. This is mentioned as one of the disagreeabilities of emigration that makes settling in the woods feel more comfortable by contrast. At Alexandria we remained several days before we got wagons to bring us out. Here everything was weighed. My weight was just 75 pounds.”

[The group went through the Virginia mountains by wagon and settled in Ohio.]